Your vehicle registration must be valid and unexpired in Abu Dhabi traffic departments in order to drive your own vehicle and it is prohibited for anyone to drive any vehicle or allow another person to drive it on the road unless registered and authorized in accordance with the provisions of the Abu Dhabi Traffic Law, whereby each person who owns a vehicle must renew their vehicle registration every twelve months.
Anyone who owns a vehicle can renew the registration of their vehicle in the Traffic Department of all the emirates of the country and request the registration renewal services in the authorized service centers or on the website of the traffic departments in Abu Dhabi.
Table of Contents
Service delivery channels include:
- The application of the Ministry of the Interior in Google Play and Apple Store
- Federal vehicle gate in Abu Dhabi
- Vehicle registration renewal in Abu Dhabi (Abu Dhabi Police)
- The website of the Ministry of the Interior in Abu Dhabi
- The smart app in Google Store or Apple Store of Roads and Transport Authority
- The Abu Dhabi Highway and Transportation Authority website
How to renew vehicle registration in Abu Dhabi
All people who own their vehicles must renew their vehicle registration, to register the vehicle, both for companies and individuals, choosing one of the renewal methods, either through the electronic platform or by moving to the office of the Department of General Traffic within Abu Dhabi if you want to renew the vehicle registration by following the steps below:
- First Step: Begin by checking your vehicle at one of the approved inspection centers In Abu Dhabi, if your vehicle is 3 or more years old from the inspection period and eventually the inspection result must prove that your vehicle is valid for vehicle registration renewal.
- Second step: Your vehicle insurance must be valid for a minimum of one year, if this condition is not met, you must insure your vehicle in one of the approved insurance companies in Abu Dhabi.
- Step Three: Pay all traffic fines owed to the vehicle.
- Step Four: Apply to register the vehicle through the approved registration channels within Abu Dhabi.
- Step Five: Pay your vehicle registration renewal fee in full.
- Step Six: Receive a vehicle registration renewal card as well as a sticker showing the month and year that your vehicle registration renewal date expires.
The documents required during the renewal of the registration of your vehicle are the following:
- The original identity card of the Emirates, a copy of the passport and a copy of the residence permit.
- One of the following documents for the vehicle: a customs certificate, a certificate of transfer or export, possession or transfer of possession, or a replacement for a lost export certificate (to whom the certificate may apply).
- Electronic insurance for your vehicle.
- If the vehicle is mortgaged, you must add the mortgage electronically.
- For diplomats: bring a valid diplomatic card and a letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Abu Dhabi.
- For companies: bring an official letter approved by the company in Arabic, a copy of the business license and a letter of signature and authorization.
What is the purpose of the 30-day grace period?
When your vehicle registration expires, you will have a grace period, and this grace period is granted to ensure that you can perform all necessary maintenance work in the event that your vehicle fails the mandatory vehicle registration renewal test. Driving a vehicle after the 30-day grace period has expired is considered an offense, and violators can face hefty fines with four black points, and your vehicle can also be impounded for seven days or more.